I don’t really need a reason for making a cake, but the Queen’s Jubilee last weekend provided a good excuse to make a summer berry cake. I had hoped it would last until the 6th June, as that is the Independence day in Sweden, but the cake was so good it didn’t last that long!
250 ml sugar
3 tsp baking powder
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
80 gram butter
225 ml milk
200-300 ml whipping or double cream
3-4 tbsp jam
summer berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
1) Preheat the oven to 175ºC
2) Grease and line a tin
3) Beat eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy
4) Add the flour, baking powder and lemon zest
5) Melt the butter and add the milk, add hot to the batter and mix until smooth
6) Pour into the tin and bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
7) Once cooled, cut in half and spread the jam on the bottom layer
8) Spread whipped cream over the jam and add a layer of sliced strawberries.
9) Add the top layer, cover with the remaining whipped cream and decorate with berries.